Let me preface this post by saying that I am not an expert. I came up with this project to practice my embroidery skills which were non-existent up until last weekend. Although my pin cushion is not perfect (notice the pen marks) this would make a cute little gift or stocking stuffer for anyone who is into sewing or crafting.
- Embroidery Thread
- Embroidery Needle
- Draw your snow flake directly onto the felt
- If you are not interested in drawing the snowflakes yourself check out this tutorial on transferring images to your fabric
- thread your needle and start embroidering your pattern. I used a couple of excellent tutorials from Make It Magazine. They have videos on several stitches including the blanket stitch (used on the edge of the pin cushion) and the back stitch.
- Trace a circle around your snow flake and cut it out. Cut a second circle of felt in the same size.
- Stitch the two felt circles together using blanket stitch and leave a small hole in the side of the cushion.
- stuff the in cushion and sew up the remaining small hole, again using blanket stitch.