Apartment Therapy readers you may remember a bungalow belonging to Amanda from Here’s Looking at Me Kid. From this post you may remember the fab over sized”I don’t care too much for money” sign from Amanda’s stylish bedroom. A few months ago Apartment Therapy featured DIY instruction to make this sign at home on your own.
I love the look of this sign but I needed something on a smaller scale so I modified the size and supplies to make a similar project based on what I had lying around my house. So, here is my version of the vintage-inspired graphic lettering project. I used acrylic paint over spray paint because it allowed me more customization in terms of the color I wanted my sign to be.
- Stretched Canvas
- Acrylic Paint
- Vinyl Letters
- Select a quote or saying and figure which letters you need. It is important to figure what letter you need before you go to the store. I forgot to do this and as a result had to make two separate trips.
- Using your ruler lay out your first letter, sticking it to your canvas. Check to make sure the lettering is straight before moving onto the next letter.
- Lie out all your letters on the canvas
- Mix your paint to achieve the desired color.
- Before you start painting make sure the letter are smooth and flat against the canvas
- Paint the canvas with an even coat of paint.
- Let the canvas dry overnight and peel letters off in the morning.
- Make any necessary touch ups with white paint.