Last winter I took a graphic design course that piqued my interest in typography. Without a doubt the coolest of all characters is the ampersand. The ampersand is elegant, streamlined, stylish and interesting. With this in mind I started thinking about how I could incorporate the ampersand into my home decor. I came up with this easy and affordable DIY art project.
To complete this project you need a couple of hours, a steady hand, and minimal supplies.
- an image of an ampersand (I found my model here)
- a printer
- a graphite stick or pencil
- small paint brushes
- acrylic paints
- Print out your ampersand image. To find my ampersand I did a google image search and limited my search to “large” images. You could also find a typeface you like and insert a massive ampersand into a word document.
- Scribble on the back of your ampersand image with a graphite stick or pencil.
- Now it’s time to transfer your image. Tape your ampersand image (graphite side down) to your page. See the below image!
- Trace over the ampersand to transfer the image. You can see the trace marks in the image above. In the image below you can see the transfer result.
- With a steady hand and lots of patience, paint the ampersand background. Let the paint dry and cut out the image. Frame your image and admire this quick and affordable project!