In January I seem to gravitate to hearty one pot meals such as soups, stews and chilli. They go great with a light salad and one of these delicious bacon, cheddar and onion biscuits.
Bacon, Cheddar and Onion Biscuits
Adapted from the Joy of Baking
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup and tablespoon of milk
- 2 large eggs
- 10 slices thick cut bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 cup finely diced green onion
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter.
- Combine 3/4 cup of milk and 1 egg in a separate bowl. Whisk together.
- Combine flour mixture, milk mixture, bacon, onions, and cheddar cheese in a large bowl. Stir gently until all combined.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and kead till dough comes together smoothly.
- Roll dough out till it is about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out biscuits and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. In a separate bowl combine 1 beaten egg and 1 tablespoon of milk. Brush the tops of the biscuits with the egg mixture.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes