This recipe is a new for EBN and I and we make it when we don’t feel like cooking. I came up with this recipe when I had all the ingredients but none of the gumption to make lasagna from scratch. This lack of motivation often happens to me in week two of my work schedule which means I work late Wednesday night and have to be back at work first thing in the morning on Thursday. I find by Thursday night I am spent and the last thing I want to do is cook. So lately we have been making this dead simple cheater’s mac n’ cheese. It is great because this dish is quick, you don’t have to be precise and it makes great leftovers.
15 Minute Macaroni and Cheese
- 1/2 a box of dry macaroni
- 1/2 a tub of ricotta cheese
- 6 slices of bacon
- half an onion
- 4 mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of drained pasta water
- Splash of milk
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- a handful of dices fresh tomatoes
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Once the water boils, cook the macaroni according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile Slice up raw bacon and throw it in a frying pan on medium high heat.
- Once bacon is cooked, pour out as much fat as possible, toss onion and sliced mushrooms in the pan with the bacon and cook until nicely browned
- Drain cooked pasta and pour the bacon and vegetable mixture into the drained pasta pot
- Mash the ricotta in a bowl until it is a bit smoother
- Add Ricotta cheese to the pasta and mix well
- Add a little bit of reserved past water and/or milk to achieve your desired consistency
- Mix in Parmesan cheese and fresh diced tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve!